08 May 2008

Morning Visitor

I awoke as the first rays of dawn came streaming in through the wall of glass that is the North side of our bedroom. The red-gold light spilling in from the East cast an unmistakable silhouette across the closet doors. I bolted out of bed and grabbed my camera. It didn't even flinch as I pulled open the door and crept out onto the balcony. It eyed me with curiosity as I walked slowly towards it until it was no more than an arms length away. I felt a distinct vibration of arrogance as it cocked its head and posed for me. I reckon with a beak like that, a kookaburra really doesn't need to fear much.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute!!!!! I want to have one as a pet!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Paula

ldydo said...

What a totally un-Yank experience!

How thoughtful of Australia to reveal her charm in such a cool way.

Mommalinda

Anonymous said...

Superb.

And doubly so that your camera was to hand.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

They can give you a mighty nip, if you're not careful when feeding them (sausages).

Author! Author! said...

They like pastrami, too. And on occasion will allow one to swat them repeatedly on the rump with a peice of dried linguine.

Chloe Sparkle said...

Wow! Marty Stouffer would be proud of that shot!chloe_spark

Kwirkie said...

Beautiful! I have only seen a few sitting in trees as driving along the road. Gave me chills looking at your picture.

Anonymous said...

Now *that* is awesome.