19 May 2008

About Australia Post

Australia Post has the brilliant business practice of charging money to NOT provide services. I hope the Postmaster General never gets wind of this scheme. For a mere twenty-six dollars, I can NOT receive mail while I am on vacation.

Australian banks still keep banker’s hours, making it extraordinarily difficult for employed persons to engage in banking activities, like depositing checks. Oh, there ARE express deposit slots – conveniently located inside the lobby of the bank. After several weeks of not being able to make it to my bank between 10 and 4, I called customer service for their mailing address and was advised against sending checks by post (snigger). Instead I was told to go to Australia Post and deposit my checks there. Ever so much more convenient, as the post office is open from 9 to 5.

Similarly, I called my bank to inquire about getting a bank draft (aka a certified check) to pay for some bureaucratic process and was told that such a service would incur a fee if performed by my bank. However, I could go to Australia Post and use my debit card to get a bank check for free.

I went to my bank and tried to mail a parcel, but they just stared at me without humour.

Like the US, Australian mail boxes are filled daily with an inordinate amount of junk mail in the form of store flyers, restaurant menus, and real estate adverts. Unlike the US, junk mail is delivered by private contractors. I daresay that the bulk billing of junk mail by the US Postal Service is the sole reason why they are the only financially solvent government agency. I am utterly confounded that Australia Post continues to let this enormous revenue stream go untapped.

It is a favourite past-time of Australians to secure signs to their mail boxes proclaiming NO JUNK MAIL. I receive much pleasure from depositing my own junk mail into these boxes.

To be fair, there is one completely adorable facet to Australia Post: Postie Bikes.

9 comments:

Melody Marie Murray said...

Is the bird chasing him or actually affixed to his helmet?

Author! Author! said...

I reckon it is chasing him. Although I have not had any firsthand experience, I understand that magpies can be very aggressive and territorial. I think they are wonderful birds, whose call sounds like wooden wind chimes. The babies have a raspy little whine.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I may be missing some key detail here, but - why are you putting your junk mail into other people's letterboxes?

Anonymous said...

The PO in Martin Place is open on Saturday from 10 to 2:00.

Quit whingeing and realise that as much as it may not be convenient to have lowly postal workers working 24/7 as they are in the US, this is part of being in a more equitable society where everyone's right to leisure is acknowledged.

BTW, from long experience of both I think Aus Post is far more efficient than USPS. In spite of the reduced working hours. One big problem I had with USPS was when I would go to post a letter or parcel overseas, inevitably the people behind the (bullet-proof) desk had not heard of the country I was sending to. Yes, and this was Mexico. They insisted it was New Mexico (having only ever heard of the existence of the US in the great paonoply of nations) so could not or would not attach customs forms, correct postage or airmail stickers.

And my bank (ANZ) certainly has a streetside deposit facility for the very few people who still use cheques.

Or try Internet banking or just get over it already.

Honestly, you'd think you were living in Zimbabwe from these brayings. You should know by now that Australians don't like whingers.

Author! Author! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Author! Author! said...

Australians may not like whingers, but it is certainly not an activity that is unknown to them. Sheesh, what is the fun of living in a foreign country if one cannot compare and contrast the details of everyday life? If you were living in the States, I am sure you would find it comment-worthy that you can't pay your electric bill or buy a picnic kit at the post office...only no one would think it was whingelin because Americans are so smitten with Australian accents, we think everything they say is utterly charming. Really, I don't think you are well enough acquainted with my personality and humor to recognize a good whinge. Stay tuned, there is sure to be one when I get my next hospital bill. And to be fair, I promise to whinge about the US, too. I know how that pleases Aussies.

And I DO practice internet banking, which is why I get charged a fee to walk into my bank and see a real person (which is fine by me, because I don't especially like interacting with tellers). However, unlike ANZ, I don't get charged a fee just to keep my money there, so I can manage the burden of no curbside deposit slots at HSBC just fine - especially now that I know I can go to the post. However, I fail to see how going all the way to the CBD on Saturday constitutes convenience (though that is my favorite post office!). Unfortunately, my health fund doesn't seem to be able to apply technology to foreign visa holders, so while the rest of their clientele benefits from electronic transfer, I suffer under the weight of paper reimbursements for the rather hefty medical bills we have been amassing of late.

Anonymous said...

Ah, well if you transfer to one of the Australian banks (there are 4 main ones as you know) you will get curbside deposits.

For good measure I am a major whinger myself and I really let fly at ANZ yesterday because at the bank they "can't" transfer money to the account of anyone else unless the payee is also with ANZ. "Can't" my a*se but anyway.

BTW I have been living in Europe and while there was the convenience of longer post office hours, every store is closed on Sundays. Try that on for size and see if you can whinge about it as much as I did. And BTW, you can't get aspirin in supermarkets there - have to go to the pharmacy (pharmacists have a nice little racket going on).

There are swings and roundabouts everywhere and it is the unenviable fate of the ex-pat to lose his or her country without ever really gaining a new one.

Have a nice trip home. I am sure you'll miss the lorikeets and kookaburras.

Anonymous said...

Whinge all you like, Audra! I certainly enjoy reading your musings.

Very interesting. I had no idea you could do all that stuff at Australia Post. Usually I just go there and...y'know, post stuff. And buy stamps. But I've noticed our local Post Shop is beginning to diversify; they now have a large display of gift cards for various stores.

I don't really mind junk mail. I sort through it, keep what I like and recycle the rest.

Anonymous said...

A very funny post! Peeps should read your byline. LOL