01 March 2008

Party Gras

There is nothing more startling than waking up in your own bed when the last place you recall being is at Hungry Jack’s (aka Burger King) downtown.

“Why did the gays claim Mardi Gras for their own?”

“It’s all about feathers and sequins.”

I followed the trail of my clothes, dropped thoughtfully like bread crumbs, to the living room and was delighted to see my wallet, though I wondered how the contents came to be strewn across the floor.

“How come there are 1000 Dykes on Bikes, but only 15 Boys on Bikes?”

It took me a little longer to find my camera. It was next to the bathtub. I am afraid to see what is on the video card. Did I take a bath? I smell rather clean, considering...

“Are Gays so Catholic that they celebrate Mardi Gras?”

“I’ll wager there are more gay Catholics than you would suspect. Actually, Mardi Gras celebrations here last about 6 weeks. I don’t think they quite grasp the concept of lent – or maybe they do and this is their answer…you know, we missed the Gay Lesbian Pool Party two weeks ago and the Wet and Wild Fashion Show.” Just then, the Gay Catholic Society Float gyrated past. They were all dressed as altar boys.

There is a huge lump on my forehead. I have no idea how it got there.

"The parade brings in 650 million gay tourist dollars to Sydney over the weekend."

"Gay Dollars? So that doesn't include the 20 bucks I just paid to rent a stool?"

The Castro Cotillion drifted across my field of vision, the San Francisco skyline painted down the side. Lots of leather on that float.

"Are you going to the after party? It's being hosted by Cyndi Lauper and Olivia Newton John."

"Uh...I heard it is sold out."

I took several hours of video of the parade, but it shows like the Gay Wear Bitch Project, and I am a little to off-balance to try to edit it into something cohesive. Just imagine lots feathers and sequins.

I'm going back to bed now.

6 comments:

Dan Kasch said...

Got Beads?

Author! Author! said...

There were no beads, even though I know that is not exactly what you are asking...

I have several theories on why there were no beads at this Mardi Gras.

One is that Australia prides itself on being at the forefront of the fight for the environment, so dispersing thousands of useless plastic baubles might have been a declaration of conscientiousness. (sp?)

The other leading theory is that because it is a Gay and Lesbian Parade, they wanted to put the kabash on the event simply becoming an excuse for public nudity - though there were plenty of bare chested dykes!! Plus, the spectacle of flashing would kind of detract from the message.

Anonymous said...

I think the relevant Antipodean term for what you did was "tied one on".

Yes?

Word verification: xrxml. Sounds like what Ford would come up with if they wrote for the W3C, which fortunately they don't.

Anonymous said...

I almost went that afternoon, but how I got drowned by the crowd last time flashed back, so we went to the Sichuan again, which was also good, haha!!

Anonymous said...

How it plays in Portland http://www.katu.com/news/entertainment/16162147.html

The Prof said...

I do hope you'll be able to post some pictures. I am surprised by how little coverage there is in the Australian national media...