04 June 2008

The Vacation Within

We never did much exploration of the local surrounds while we lived in Shingletown, (if you are really bored, check out the forum discussions at the bottom of that link...yikes, that worst of Americana on display!) Primarily because the homestead is darn pleasant, we found it unnecessary and uncomfortable to ever leave it. For years I have been itching to visit the quaint coastal town of Trinidad. With the power of the internet (and available credit) at my fingertips, I booked us a cozy cabin and away we drove down the curvy highway following the Trinity River westward to the Pacific. We stopped occasionally to evaluate the rapids just listen to the refreshing whoosh of clear running water.



Upon our arrival, I was delighted to discover that our little lodge sat atop a cliff above the Sea Lion Lounge, a collection of rocky islands layered with tons of barking blubber. I reckon if one is annoyed by the sounds of groaning marine mammals, one would certainly not build one's house along Patrick Point Drive, because that party went on all night. Sorry, they were too far away to get a clear picture, but the rocks below were covered with seals and sea lions.







Aside from eating heaps of Mexican food, one of my other objectives for this USA visit was to spend some time in the company of redwood trees. I find these gentle giants of the forest to be completely restorative to my oft-harried mind. This shot didn't come out so well, but I am actually standing in the burnt out middle of an enormous tree that is now surrounded by a fairy ring of youngsters.

It was a rare and glorious sunny day around Eureka Bay, an area notorious for being blanketed in a thick fog. Don't be fooled, though. It was still chilly.

The next morning we drove down to Arcata to peek at a former residence then our the South Jetty to dine at the famous Samoa Cookhouse. Like most restaurants that have their own postcards, the quality of the food was second to their ambience and historical value, although personally, I thought the food was quite good - I normally never eat pancakes and I quite enjoyed every bite.


Don't you just adore the enduring optimisim of the human species? Personally, I don't think I could outrun that wave. Not with a belly full of pancakes anyway.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Those trees are amazing.

Julie said...

I was just in Eureka this last week and noted the new Tsunami signs too. Really, what do those signs accomplish? Planning to move to Oz end of the year... found you on YDU. Julie