07 June 2008

A Case for Beer

Aside from religion, politics, and sports, perhaps no other topic polarizes nations more than beer. For the most part, I consider myself to be an impartial observer (UN appointed) in the battle of brewed beverages. I have never tasted a beer that I would classify as objectionable, unless you count that time when I didn't realize the can had been used as an ashtray or possibly that garlic beer…

I know that American beer suffers a lot of harsh criticism throughout the civilized beer-drinking world, and I will not deny that descriptors such as 'weak', 'piss-water', and 'so lacking in character that one must drink it ice cold so that it freezes the taste buds off of one's tongue' are accurate and occasionally amusing.

In defense of American beer, people often employ terms like 'crisp', 'refreshing', and 'perfect for drinking all day long while watching rich sober people drive around in a circle for large sums of prize money'.

I don't really want to argue the relative merits of any particular brand or method of intoxication. Diplomat that I am I see and appreciate all sides to any argument. I think this may be an example of how prejudice and attachment to familiar tastes might serve as an obstacle to the enjoyment of a perfectly wonderful experience (mind you, this works both ways, as know plenty of Yankers who have strong opinions about European style beer despite having never sampled it). However, after extensive personal research, I must concur that there is something decidedly wonderful about drinking a cold, light beer under a hot summer sun…er, make that 12 cold beers.

There is also something decidedly wonderful about being able to buy 30 beers for $13.99.

No comments: