01 February 2008

The Doctrine of Fashionism

Sydney certainly believes itself to be a city steeped in high fashion. Except for the occasional freak coincidence, my own wardrobe has consistently been at odds with the fashion industry throughout my entire life. Therefore, I am not really in a position to judge whether or not Sydneysiders dress in the height of modern fashion. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that Australia’s geographical isolation from the rest of civilization, coupled with their unique self image, has resulted in some very regrettable wardrobe decisions among Sydney’s clothes conscious.

The current trend for women is all about baby doll dresses. Loose flowing gowns cinched tight across the nipple line and cropped as close to the bottom of the buttocks as a breezeless day will allow. The result is a complete obliteration of any hint of the female form. Breasts look flattened and all other curves become invisible. This look does however place an extraordinary emphasis on the lower extremities. Many Australian women have a distinct body-type: long lean bodies and short strong legs (I am curious to know what set of genetic crossbreeds gave rise to this particular shape.) Thus the baby doll dress helps balance out their proportions. However, the overall effect is that Saturday night in the city resembles a giant pyjama party in high heels.

Note: This look is not truly complete unless you are pigeon toed.


The fashion for men is slightly less ridiculous, except for the shoes and quite possibly the hair, oh and the sunglasses. When walking through the central business district, I often get the feeling I have stumbled into a Tyler Durden look-alike convention. I actually find this look rather attractive, if not only because of the menatal associations to Brad Pitt. I don’t particularly mind the just-rolled-out-of-bed look for men’s hair, except I know that in fact they had it professionally styled and spent more than a few minutes in the mirror with some products making sure the left side was smooshed just so. But this look falls apart for me when it comes to the shoes. Most popular are ridiculously long, square-toed Italian loafers – preferably so long that the toes actually curl up, giving the effect of a pair of Persian Ali Baba slippers. This gives the Australian male a peculiar gait in order to avoid tripping, and narrow stair cases necessitate a slightly angled ascent in order to ensure the balls of the foot actually hit the risers.

When it comes to sunglasses, I am fairly certain that this unfortunate trend has indeed swept the globe, but I am hopeful that it is already dying out elsewhere. Now mind you, there was a time when I was quite smitten with Jackie-O sunglasses, but as usual, it was more for the comic relief factor than for style or practicality. Designers have taken the Jackie-O concept to new extremes, but the key to this fashion accessory is to sport a sincere expression of disaffected boredom and impatience. The overall effect is an entire city of indolent insects travelling by public transport.

One last note about footwear: I know that flip-flops (aka thongs) have risen to new heights of acceptable fashion throughout the United States and are probably here to stay because of their complete functionality and affordability. I support this trend fully and thank the powers of the universe that this trend did not persist during the seventies when the thick-soled rainbow striped version briefly made the scene. Still, I cannot visualize any major city in the US where flip-flops are such an integral part of daily business wear. Again, I suspect this has much to do with Australia’s unique self-image and also with Sydney’s close association with the beach, such that everyone like to constantly give the impression that, at any moment, they might just bugger off to go surfing.

So tell me dear readers, is the rest of the world really dressing like this?

6 comments:

Chester The Bear said...

First, given that 50% of those Saturday Night Girls will end up getting laid before sunrise, the Pyjama Party look is perfectly acceptable.

Second, you poor dear. You haven't been here long enough to understand that "thongs" (flip flops for the Americans amoung your readership) are the Australian National Dress, in much the same way that Chanel defines everything French, or perhaps that the Kimono defines things Japanese.

We grew up wearing them. All of us. They're part of what makes Australia the greatest place on earth. They're part of what makes us who we are. Even the smack smack sound they make is preserved in the Australian Sound and Film Archive in Canberra.

Embrace them, liberate your feet, because once you come to appreciate a great pair of rubber thongs, you'll never leave.

shenanigans said...

Audra, baby. Only fashion tragics are still wearing baby doll dresses. They're definitely for the suburbs these days. And I'm from the UK so I don't know what you mean by Australian women have short legs - I feel like I'm in the giraffe encolsure of the safari park when I hit a club.

Eddie said...

"Most popular are ridiculously long, square-toed Italian loafers – preferably so long that the toes actually curl up, giving the effect of a pair of Persian Ali Baba slippers."

I just bought myself a pair of these. Along with a 3-piece suit and Lucha Libre mask for a "People All Over the World" themed costume party. Little did i know it was actually a retro Soul Train social. The guy in the glittery green polyester pullover with butterfly collar actually had the to laugh at what I was wearing. He wasn't laughing so hard after the 619.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I know the look of which you speak. I confess I have not seen any men in Crackramento dressing in such a fashion, but that is possibly b/c they mostly wear hoodies, grillz, backward caps and long t-shirts with oversized sneakers and jeans hanging around their knees with polka dot boxer shorts sticking out atop their belts.

I lament that many women folk (including the not so young and the not so petite) have fallen for the baby doll look, much to my chagrin.

Sometimes I hide inside my office bunker and do not venture outside for fear of making my eyes bleed with the visual onslaught of patterns, puff and fluff. It breaks my heart to see shoppers wandering around Safeway or Target in their pyjamas.

It breaks my heart because I can't run them down in the carpark b/c I'm usually in too much of a rush to get the hell out of there.

Anonymous said...

Growing up, I found it difficult to embrace the thongs philosophy and if I HAD to wear them, I only wore white thongs. Black or blue thongs were the standard among the boys but any decent girlie would wear white thongs.

If they weren't white, I refused to wear them. I thought I was hip & groovy b/c I wore "Indian toe sandals" instead.

I hated thongs. They made my toes feel wierd.

Author! Author! said...

When I am wearing thongs (on my feet) I love to walk down the stairs from the train station in St Leonards. By relaxing my toes on each step, I am able to make the most satisfyingly loud slapping noise that echoes off the glass walls.

It is truly a blessing to be able to amuse oneself so easily.

As far as the "body type", it is certainly not universal, but it is distinct, and I've never noticed it elsewhere. Meet me for a pint in the CBD and I'll point it out to you...