12 February 2008

Never Ready

This morning, I dismissed the little voice in side my head that said I should carry my camera with me today. So I don’t have a picture of the inexplicable crowd that swarmed the St Leonards train station.

Or of the incredibly helpful marquee on the front of the #435 bus that read “TERMINATES – All Stops”.

Or of the amazingly filthy man sitting on the marble steps of Energy Australia telling an animated story to a constable. He looked like he had been dragged beneath the under carriage of a train…or maybe like a cat that had been sleeping on a greasy engine block.

I don’t have a picture of the burned out car with smashed windows that has been sitting in the gravel lot in front of the brick wall painted with a mural of a giant smirking skull, but was today filled with colourful balloons.

I don’t have a picture of the fire at the Broadway shops or the massive traffic back up along the main artery leading from the heart of the city into the Western suburbs.

I don’t have a picture of the torrential downpour that soaked me to the skin the minute I stepped out of the door of the Blackburn Building (which, by the way, had a fire alarm today.)

But I especially don’t have a picture of the wonderful little boy stomping happily through puddles, who reminded me that it is fun to walk in the rain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I call an exciting start to the day (not!). Have you considered investing in a camera phone rather than taking an actual camera out & about with your good self?

Author! Author! said...

I have a camera phone. I have no idea how to get the pictures out of it. No where on it is there a plug thingy that would connect it to anything else. In theory, it is possible to send the pictures via SMS, but I have not been able to make that happen, and when I try, I sound very much like my mother.

"Goddammit. I did push that button!"

Anonymous said...

you should be able to find a cord that comes with the phone, otherwise try bluetooth, and not all carriers support pictures SMS, 3 does though.

Kwirkie said...

You may not have had a camera but you painted a beautiful picture in my mind with the words that you just wrote.