16 January 2008

Certifiable

We first encountered the concept of ‘certified copies’ when we were gathering materials for our visa application to Australia. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship requested ‘certified copies’ of crucial documents such as diplomas, transcripts, passports, birth certificates, and our marriage license. After some research, we learned that a certified copy is simply a photocopy bearing the signature of someone officious who can verify that it is indeed a copy of the original. We figured the US equivalent could only be a notary public. After much blinking and frowning and circular argumentation, the notary public refused to certify a photocopy of the original, because she had no way to verify the authenticity of the original. This seemed painfully reasonable to me. However, it did not solve our dilemma with the Australian Government. Eventually, we just ordered originals from all the various bureaucratic agencies and submitted those.

Although our visa was granted without any complications, we still have frequent occasions to supply the Australian Government with various certified copies in support of various bureaucratic pursuits, such as Medicare Levy Exemption Certificates, Notification of Passport Renewals, and It Has Been Six Weeks Since You Filed Some Sort of Paperwork Submissions. For an activity that is clearly ubiquitous, the general population maintains an amazing level of ignorance as to its execution. Asking around, I have been told several blatant lies. The most believable of these lies being that I can get such copies at the Post Office, because the Post Office does everything BUT handle mail (note to self: write blog entry on the overextended services of the Australian Post and be sure to mention the cute little Postie Bikes used to deliver mail, and the fact that they won’t pick up mail from your mailbox, and that junk mail services are sub-contracted.)

My first attempt to get certified copies was rather painless, and in retrospect, possibly illegal. I took photocopies of my passport to the Post Office on campus and asked to have them certified. My request was answered with the blank stare unique to the incomprehension of non-native speakers.

“Copies?”

“Yes, certified copies.”

“Copies, 50 cents.”

“OK, certified copies?”

“OK”. He took my passport and proceeded to photocopy each page, then handed me the stack.

“Don’t you need to certify them?”

“What?”

“Sign them or stamp them or something?”

“You want a stamp?”

“Yes, certified copies.”

“OK. You want stamp, I give stamp.” And he stamped each page with a round decal that said Australia Post and the date. Whatever.

I sent the copies off to the Medicare Office and soon received my exemption certificate. On the next occasion I had requiring certified copies, I went to the St Leonards Post Office, also staffed by non-natives, but each having a distinctly better command of the English language.

“Sorry, we can’t make copies at this office.”

This morning, running late for work and not having much to do once I got there, I thought I would take advantage of the occasion to visit the General Post Office located in a beautiful venetian style building at Martin Place. The not particularly pleasant woman at the counter informed me that Australia Post does not certify copies. I said I had had it done at another office, but she shook her head and adamantly claimed that was not possible.

“The Post can make copies, but we cannot certify them. You can get free certified copies from the Justice of the Peace at the Supreme Court, on King Street at the top of the hill. Next in Line.”

Certifying tourist documents seemed to me a mighty menial job for a high-falootin’ office such as the Supreme Court of New South Wales, but who am I to argue with bureaucratic process. I considered returning to the dodgy campus post office, but this seemed like a fun opportunity to poke around historic buildings with a semblance of purpose, so I marched up the hill.

The Supreme Court building is a cavernous sandstone (what else) structure attached to a cavernous sandstone church located in complex of other cavernous sandstone government buildings from the early years of Sydney's history. The complex sits at the bottom of a replica of London’s Hyde Park called, unimaginatively, Hyde Park. I meandered through the intricately painted arched hallways tiled with black and white marble hexagon, searching in vain for the Justice of the Peace, my curiosity aroused by the numbers of groups of muslim families huddled in anxious consultations with men with slick curly hair in sharp wool suits. What exactly happens in the Supreme Court? Finally, I poked my head inside the Sheriff’s Office (I don’t think the Sheriff in Australia serves the same function as in the States) and asked for directions.

I was sent across the street to a modern high-rise where security officers x-rayed my sushi before sending me to the fifth floor. When my number was called, I approached the lady at the counter. Despite my best attempt at perfect courtesy, I watched a sneer crawl across her face when she detected my foreign accent. She directed me to a small office across the lobby that did not require a number. At this point it occurred to me that I was probably supposed to bring my own copies with me. She confirmed my suspicions with another sneer and said “Well after all, what else are we supposed to certify for you? What did you think?” Since I was no longer in need of her services, I decided to vent the considerable whinge that was building up inside of me, including a childlike display of stomping up and down while flailing my arms about my person just to illustrate the physical dimension of my frustration.

Then I left the building before she could called security.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Audra, I just came across this little gem of relavent instructions from my migration agent about making certified copies of documents for immigration. I found it today in the mountain of papers left over from my visa application project. I will quote them. "To have documentation certified you need to take your original transcripts and a copy of each transcript to an authorised person in your community. (pls check this in your country with the person making the certification)
Authorised persons include: commissioner for oaths, justice of the peace, notary, lawyer/solicitor, magistrate, doctor, CPA or chartered accountant, registered pharmacist, university professor or registrar, bank manager. The endorsement must clearly indicate which of the above catagories the signatory represents and state that the copies are true and unaltered reproductions of the original documents. The person certifying must state his/her full name, qualification to certify, and contact details-written by hand or stamped." It seems certified copies might be easier to obtain in Australia than here in the USA with all of these "Qualified" people about. I just got my permanant resident skilled visa granted a few days ago. I hope that this helps you rather than causes you to become more aggravated with certified copies!!
I will be moving to Melbourne in a few months. Have fun, Jed (pastrycook-136 on YDU)

Chester The Bear said...

Oh. I see you're become familiar with the bureaucracy. Welcome to Australia. Just don't ever ask "why" because they'll make up for not actually knowing why by trying to tell you.

GP said...

Any JP anywhere can certify your copies. I go to the local Chemist in Eastwood, and there is one occasionally at Macqaurie Centre (closest shopping centre to me). I'm sure you've well figured this out long ago, but just in case....
Just bring them copies and the originals and your set.

Author! Author! said...

Yes, I have found a JP at work...he was very nice and didn't even scrutinize my copies, si if I ever want to dally in some bureaucratic funny business...

Sarita said...

Thank goodness I found this post!!!!
I'm from California but am already living in Sydney with my Chilean boyfriend and have been searching the internet in hopes of finding out what the hell certified copies means!

So according to dvj606, I can go to a registered pharmacist??? That would be awesome!

I was under the impression that it had to legally notarized and that it would cost a lot. We have at least 15 or 20 things we need to certify.

Also, if I bring the copies with me, I can go the place by Hyde Park? We live very close to there and it would be wonderful if it were free!

I'm so happy I found your blog! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post,

same story here: the guy at Pacific Hwy (North Sydney) post office told me exactly the same thing "we cannot certify". I told him i did that a few days ago right there. He said "impossible"

There is a pharmacy just across the road, the lady was helpful to sign it.

These people are SO freaking ignorant, it's just unbelievable :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Audra, I have lived in Australia for 40 years. And having begun a journey with Mary Elizabeth Croft,(please look her up)it seems like the post offices are acting stupid. There is a fax sheet put out,by Australia Post about how to get docs certified, by Australia Post. it is the num nuts that are too busy selling cards, rather than provide the service, they were intended to provide.
A signature must go through the stamp (identifying the signer) date time. Today the postal staff were busy reading and laughing at my documents, they, insisted on photocopying. Are Postal worker allowed to do that? I was humiliated. be careful going to the PO. most are now privatised.