24 February 2007

"Fruit Bat Sally, Fruit Bat Sam..."

“…Do the jitterbug down in Fruit Bat Land”

I don’t know why it has taken me so long to write about the fruit bats. Perhaps I have been too enamored to put words to the nightly phenomenon of their majestic flight across Burns Bay. Or perhaps I was waiting to be motivated by the screeching of their sexual frenzies off the bedroom balcony – which is precisely what has me up writing at this late hour.

“What is that horrible noise?” asked Kevin.

“That is the sound of fruit bats making love.”

And how appropriate that the Triple J DJ has chosen this moment to torture his audience with a bass-heavy remix of “Summer Lovin’” (yes, from the soundtrack of Grease…it is almost as horrible as Dolly Parton’s version of “Stairway to Heaven”….oh my God, is that the South Park boys in the background?? This DJ is evil incarnate!)

They stayed out till ten o’clock!!

Well, they certainly weren’t having as much summer fun as the fruit bats are having…really, the term “making love” is a gross application of the term. It is the most hideous bitching noise I have head since the “conversation” Kevin and I had last night.



Oh, and of course, there is an amazing display of fireworks going off in the general vicinity of downtown. I’d like to believe this was a side effect of the fruit bats’ amorousness (cuz I’d hate to think Sydney whipped those out in honor of today’s visit from Dick Cheney.)

No comments: