11 February 2007

Foreground Music

10 February, 2007

When people ask why I moved to Australia, I invariably reply “Because I can’t get Triple J on my car radio in The States.”

Triple J is the “youth oriented” arm of the publicly funded Australian Broadcasting Corporation, and is quite possibly the best radio station on the planet, not to mention commercial-free! Although they mostly play new music, nothing is off limits. Last night, on the same program I heard Mickey Avalon, AC/DC, Prince, Scissor Sisters, The Beastie Boys, and Dolly Parton (did you know she did a cover of “Stairway to Heaven”? It is perfectly HORRID!), interspersed with a variety of hip-hop and punk artists who have until now been completely off my radar. It is truly awesome.

And they turned me onto my new favorite artist, C.W. Stoneking...with visions of a smoke-filled low-ceiling room in Preservation Hall, I thought "Wow, they really dig up some old shit." Imagine my surprise to discover he's some young punk from The Northern Territory!



So if you want hear what I am hearing (sans shrieking cockatoos in the background) and you have a good broadband connection, you can listen on-line at Triple J.

Of course, if you want to hear the noon-hour farm report, or lengthy call-in discussions about the plight of the labour party, you’ll have to check in with their parent stations on the
ABC.

1 comment:

janet said...

I think I have found a new station to listen to. I will have to pass it on to my kids to enjoy also!