17 April 2009

Random Updates

I've been racking up quite a list of things I have been meaning to blog about, but just have not found the time to sit down and give them a proper writing. So instead, I offer this jumbled list of stuff. Do you like stuff?

*******

Last night, Kevin and I went to a new restaurant that touts American-style hamburgers. You can design your own from an extensive list of ingredients that includes pineapple, fried egg, carrots, and - if you just cannot imagine a burger without it - beet root. It was pretty good, but everyone was eating their burgers with a knife and fork. Do Australians have an overblown sense of etiquette, or are they just afraid of their fingers? I feel like a troglodyte when I go out for Indian food with my mates. I try to explain, you are supposed to eat it with your fingers!

*******

Ever wonder what it is like at my house on Saturday morning at 7:30 am? Here is a dull video to illustrate:





*******

Last weekend, I was 'featured' in an article in the Sunday Magazine in The Telegraph. Two days earlier, I heard a comedian on Triple J saying almost the exact same thing. Plagiarist. Of course, he said it more funnier.

Reproduced here without permission:




*******

Despite the unhappy ending, we had a fabulous Easter weekend in Mudgee. The Evanslea B&B doubles as a foster home for orphaned Eastern Grey Kangaroos. Spekaing of kangaroos, here is something you never overhear in a wine tasting room in California:

“Hey, we just freed a joey that was caught in the fence down by the first paddock. He looks hurt and his mum his hoppin’ around all distressed. Can you call Kangaroo Wildlife Assistance? I'll start with the Riesling.”






Here is the blog entry I wrote, a mere three hours before losing my licen(s)ce. Serves me right for counting my joeys before they had been cut out of their dead mother's pouch:




Lately, we have been toying with the possibility of buying a new car. When
we first got here, not knowing if things were going to work out for us, we just
bought a cheap little beater. Our 91 Camry is as reliable as it is
uninspiring, and we concluded – using our own peculiar brand of logic – that if
we had a nicer car, say maybe a convertible, we would be more inclined to get
out of the city on weekends and explore our
surroundings.

Fortunately, our good friend Saji helped us put the
purchase into a useful economic perspective.

“Are you
fucking crazy? You don’t need a car.”

And so by employing
some questionable mathematical manipulations, Kevin has me convinced that we are
actually saving money by renting a BMW Z4 over the 4-day Easter Weekend to drive
to wine country. Normally, I might be inclined to argue his fallacy, but
in truth I found the idea infinitely appealing.
Mudgee is an ‘up and
coming’ new wine region nestled in the Blue Mountains about 4 hours to the west
of Sydney (4 hours east of Sydney is the Pacific Ocean), providing us with ample
opportunity to test the limits of the BMW’s performance and handling while
racking up multiple speeding tickets. In Australia, traffic offenses count
as points against your privilege to drive and holiday weekends are advertised as
Double Demerits, an intimidating alliterative and excellent source of
revenue. I saw more police on the road to Mudgee than I have in the two
plus years I have lived here. Fortunately (or not) there was so much
traffic, you couldn’t lose your license if you wanted to.
*******

Last month, in addition to being a good excuse to go to wine country, look how close I got to Chris Isaak's butt after his wonderful concert in the vineyards:




Well, I haven't quite run out of stuff, but I have run out of coffee. Until next time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We've been living in Sydney for four years now (We are Americans from San Francisco and the wife is here on a work visa). Can't believe how bad hamburgers are down under. I four years we've only found two hamburgers we can eat; One is at Bistro Moncur out in Woollahra and the other is an outdoor restaurant on George right near the MCA, across the street from Ariel, the greatest bookstore in town (not counting those who re-sell old books).
Our biggest problem is keeping the cooks from adding capsicum and beetroot as standard garnish.

Ron Fell
ronfell@pacbell.net

Author! Author! said...

So far, my favorite burger in Sydney is a Whopper Jr...and I can't stand them in America!

Unknown said...

Two comments on my earlier comment:

The day I wrote my hamburger comments we had lunch at Bistro Moncur and I realized the place with the great burger is in the same building but with a different name, Moncur Terrace. There is no burger on the menu at Bistro Moncur, but dining right next to us was Rockpool's famous chef Perry. Quite an endorsement and Bistro does not take reservations but was full within 15 minutes of opening on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
Also, the name of the outdoor borger place on George is Rock in Burger. About half the price of Moncur Terrace for a nearly just-as-good burger and fries.

Author! Author! said...

Well now, I just might have to stumble in there on Saturday after a busy afternoon spent losing my life savings playing two-up!