13 April 2009

Heavy Fines, Loss of Licenc(s)e

Dear Roads and Traffic Authority, NSW:


In order to do our part to stimulate the local economy – even though neither of us will receive $900 for that express purpose – my husband and I decided to spend the long Easter Weekend in the ‘up and coming’ wine region of Mudgee, where we did our best to support numerous small farms and businesses.

Lately, we have been discussing the purchase of a new car to facilitate such weekend excursions, but in the interests of our personal economy, and in order to minimize our urban carbon footprint while reducing toxic emissions, thereby helping to preserve one of the world’s most treasured and fragile natural landscapes namely, the Great Barrier Reef, we opted instead to simply rent a BMW Z4 for the trip.


I am typically a very conscientious and law abiding driver. I never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol and, on occasions when I have believed my husband to be driving poorly, have nagged him to the point of marital withholding. Thus, I can assure you that when I entered the oncoming lane to pass a vehicle that was travelling well below the posted speed limit of 100 km/h I was driving within my usual limits of my legal accountability.

No one was more surprised than me when Constable Bearly presented me with evidence that I had achieved a maximum speed of 152 km/h. It is inconceivable to me that I could have possibly been travelling at that speed, when I had merely gently depressed the acceleration pedal just like I always do in my 1991 Toyota Camry, which is what I usually drive.

I contend that I was in fact driving in a law abiding manner and that the hyper-responsive engineering of the rented vehicle with which I was not entirely familiar was in truth liable for the transient velocity overage. Basically, I wasn't speeding - the car was.

Therefore, I do humbly request that you forgive the $1674 fine and ask Constable Bearly to mail my driver’s licence back to me immediately.

Kind Regards,

Audra A McKinzie

6 comments:

Elsja said...

OH MY GOD.
that sucks.

I hope you got good and toasted on some mudgee wine after that incident!

Heidi said...

OUCH!!

Awesome car though..... bet you had a blast driving it. Or was it driving you?? LOL

Heidi said...

And how fast would that be in MPH?

Author! Author! said...

It would be like If I was doing 95 mph in a 65 zone...but I am pretty sure that a CHP wouldn't confiscate your licence on the spot for that.

Funny thing about the fine - you can gamble on it. If you take it to court and lose, you pay extra and lose your license for double the suspension. I think that part is brilliant!

Kate said...

oopsie! Well *I* believe you...

Mike W said...

Audra Audra........sheesh that's a hefty fine. I guess renting cars for your weekend trips aint so economical after all.
Hell I don't think my Corolla will even go 152.