09 October 2008

Watch For Me on 'Border Security'

Chris Defourney, Manager
DFS Duty Free Galleria
San Francisco International Airport
C/O 1580 Francisco Street
Torrance, CA 90501
USA

Re: 773178663/ Txn # 1010-840-06858 and 1010-840-06859

The purpose of this letter is to lodge a formal complaint against DFS Duty Free Galleria located at the San Francisco International Terminal and specifically against Mr. Corvado Ruiz, formerly of El Salvador.

On Wednesday, October 8, 2008 at ~ 21:15, I entered the DFS Galleria at the San Francisco International Airport to purchase one carton of cigarettes and one liter bottle of Stolichnaya Vodka as gifts upon my return to Australia. I was approached by Mr. Ruiz who strongly urged me to purchase a second bottle of vodka, since the price was so reasonable. I concurred that the savings were substantial and succumbed to his charming persuasion. Mr. Ruiz, then seeing that I had also selected a carton of cigarettes, further urged me to purchase a second carton. I explained to him that Australia had limitations upon the importation of tobacco and that I could only bring in 250 cigarettes duty free. Mr. Corvado then swore to me that the regulations had been changed as of January 2008 and that Australia had increased their limit to 400 cigarettes. I told him I did not believe that was correct, yet he assured me that was the case and said that if he was lying, I could lodge a formal complaint – and then he showed me his employee badge.

Mr. Ruiz was indeed lying, and I am indeed lodging a formal complaint. Upon entering Australia, I was fined $113.98 AUD and subjected to a humiliating search, during which I was told that it is common practice for duty free shops to blatantly lie to overseas consumers. DFS Duty Free Galleria should be painfully ashamed for employing predatory business practices that are based on deception and coercion. While I recognize that it is ultimately my responsibility to be aware of the restrictions upon importation, I believe that DFS Duty Free also has the responsibility to not deceive their customers with deliberate fabrications just for the sake of a meager $34 sale.

In the future, I will most certainly make such purchases elsewhere, and will further ensure that I alert all travelers to the despicable business practices utilized by DFS Duty Free Galleria.

Respectfully,



Audra A McKinze

74/9 Herbert Street
St. Leonards, NSW 2065
Australia

Cc:

San Francisco International Airport
Department of Concessions and Development
PO Box 8097 San Francisco, CA 94128-8097

BBB of the SouthlandBBB of the Southland (Colton, CA)
315 N. La Cadena Colton, CA 92324-2927
Phone: (909)825-7280Fax: (909)825-6246
Email: info@labbb.org
Web: http://www.labbb.org

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy your duty free on arrival next time and maybe this will resolve difficulties like this!
www.dutyfreeonarrival.com

Author! Author! said...

But they cost more there...and they don't have American Spirits.

Anonymous said...

welcome back!! and damn the sales person!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah buy in the US, ALWAYS a better option...

I'm so glad you filed a complaint! So many people (me included) whine and get frustrated about things but we never take action. So good for you!

I hope you had a great trip.

The Prof said...

Well, maybe it will give you some comfort to know that your $A 113.98 is more like $US 60 now. Then again, maybe it would give your more satisfaction to give that guy a slap. Welcome back!!

Anonymous said...

Crikey. Never a dull moment with you, eh Audra? :)

Glad you made it back safe and sound otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I love this story!! You're so hilarious!

Heidi said...

Geesh, that was the quickest trip ever! Did you bring any other "stuff" home with you?? Any long lost momentos of your youth? Looking forward to stories.... :)