30 October 2008

Blockin' Up The Scenery

Although I have been forced to resort to the tactic on numerous occasions, I am not a fan of signs or notes in the work place. Occasionally, one’s co-workers might require a visual reminder not to place biohazardous waste in the staff room refrigerator, but for the most part I prefer to trust that people know how to behave with regards to safety and respect. Although there is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from taping a well-worded reprimand onto an abused piece of equipment, no amount of signage is going to compensate for the moral or professional inadequacies of poorly socialized human beings.

The other day, I ventured into the women’s bathroom on the sixth floor of the Blackburn Building. Aside from the usual University sanctioned signs instructing me in proper hand washing technique and reminders of what may or may not be deposited in the toilet, there was this rogue sign next to the wash basins:



The implications caused me great pause, and indeed, a full three days later I am still puzzling over it. Obviously, the sign was inspired by an interruption of the act in question. Has this been an ongoing problem? Why do the women on the sixth floor have such dirty feet? Isn’t it truly in your best interest that your co-workers have clean feet? What would Jesus say about this?

Fortunately, I work on the second floor where there are no such restrictions on podiatric hygiene.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA, I washed my feet in our bathroon once, because Shiwei forced to me...........before I wore her shoes bare feet

Author! Author! said...

It's so bloody hot today, I just may go wash my feet right now...maybe in the basins on the sixth floor, just to be ornery!

Anonymous said...

going commando in someone else's fat—

wait, that's wrong.

Anonymous said...

It's an Islamic custom to wash one's feet before the mandatory prayers. I am actually quite surprised to see such an un-PC sign, but it would make sense if there was already a facility set aside for that purpose. If not, this would almost qualify as a hate crime in today's environment.

caw said...

Jesus would slap the shit out of the foot washer.

Anonymous said...

A lot of Asian students wash their feet in the sink. Actually, I don't have a problem with it, other than an OH&S issue should someone tumble backwards.

caw said...

Hey, at least it doesn't say "not to be used for washing hands and faeces..."...

Author! Author! said...

eeeeewww!