25 September 2008

Meltdown Pending

I wasn't especially anxious about my trip back to California. I has a nice massage last night, didn't drink too much, and had a very good night's sleep. I woke up mildly excited, yet calm in knowing exaactly what lay ahead: have some coffee, finish up the laundry, pack my one little bag, take a shower, slip on my stretchy travelling costume, have some lunch, hop a train, go to California. Just before boarding the train, I opened my phone to send Kevin a goodbye text, only to receive a barrage of messages from Qantas telling me my flight was delayed.

And then I spun into a panic.

My phone battery died.

I left my charger at work.

Since the age of portable phones, I can no longer remember a phone number to save my life (except for 279-8091).

My internet connection crashed.

When it finally blinked on for a moment, I instantly forgot all of my passwords.

My lunch ceased to digest.

I don't mind schedule disruptions, but with the troubles that Qantas has been having of late, coupled with my very active imagination, my mind went bonkers with frightening scenarios as to WHY the flight is delayed!

But now it is time to go.

I think I'll have me a Rum and Ginger Beer at the airport.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, hope you're OK now!!

caw said...

O. M. G. Another soul who drinks rum and ginger beer? Not ginger ale but ginger beer? Really?

And is it the Bundaberg Rum with the old stoney Ginger Beer?

This was my drink of choice for many years. I don't drink it now b/c well. There is no Bundy in America.

Author! Author! said...

Of course Bundaberg, even though it makes me smelly. I wish I'd known of your passion...I would have brought you a bottle!