15 July 2008

We Interrupt WYD08 for This Nihilistic Message

I learned a new word to tonight, and I am just dying to use it.

This evening, I attended a symposium as part of the opening ceremonies for the University of Sydney Institute for Sustainable Solutions (warning: very boring hyperlink - better if you don't go there). The institute fosters a results driven collaboration among researchers from the fields of health, engineering, chemistry, agriculture, and economic policy to try to solve the world’s problems by ending poverty, feeding the populace, and halting climate change. They have 25 million dollars. Oh, and while they are at it, they are going to rid Australia of Cane Toads, too.

I pretty much knew I was a nihilist before I entered The Great Hall, I just didn’t have a tidy label for it. The environmental cynic that lives inside my brain normally keeps me away from crowds of hopeful idealists discussing the future of the planet. My general opinion that ‘we are already totally fucked’ is not very popular amongst people who truly believe that buying compact fluorescent light bulbs will save the Great Barrier Reef. I made an exception on this occasion, because I am an open minded nihilist who likes to constantly challenge my beliefs with new information.

And there was free booze.

And I really wanted an excuse to belong inside of one of the most beautiful buildings on campus.

One of the speakers claimed that there are three reactions to apocalyptic information: nihilism (eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow we die), fundamentalism (nothing ever really changes), and activism (let's hand out flyers downtown!). According to the speaker, only activism is rooted in hope. I just don’t see how anyone can look at charts filled with alarming data and graphs of dire exponential curves and experience anything other than total despair.

The keynote address was given by Dr Jeffrey Sachs, a visiting scholar from a similar institute in the US. Although his talk dealt primarily with the economics of planetary sustainability, I still came away with the conclusion that we are already totally fucked. In fact, his talk was so alarming that a man in the row next to me had a heart attack half way through. Luckily, the audience was filled with health professionals, so there was a cardiologist on hand to give him immediate attention.

Eventually, Dr Sachs got around to the upbeat conclusion of his talk. In order to build a sustainable planet, we need only do three things. 1) Eliminate extreme poverty, 2) Control the population of the planet - and by 'planet' he meant 'Africa', and 3) Find a way to live harmoniously while we use our collective knowledge to build a global ethic that will allow for real progress. Indeed, he claimed, and I tend to agree, that WAR is our biggest obstacle to social advancement because it detracts time and resources from our common interests.

Some of his graphics reminded me of a talk I gave to my eighth grade class about the population dynamics of the planet. I reckon that was the last time I ever felt so passionately about the future, passionate enough to resort to activism. It was then that I decided not to have children. And if there were one agenda that I could really put my energy behind, it would be to try to undermine the shameful papal agenda of denying birth control to impoverished women. I truly believe that stemming the tidal wave of human reproduction is the most effective weapon that can be used against our dismal prospects.

I may be a nihilist, but I am a hopeful nihilist.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Based on this... I'd say I'm a fundamentalist. If you look deeply, it just means I'm more of a pessimist. I don't think things will get better any time soon. So maybe I should eat, drink and be merry like you! :)

I love that you have interesting things to write about. My blog consists of my complaints about garbage men and playing "spin the bottle" with cask wine.

Author! Author! said...

Yeah, I find that leaving the house tends to broaden the potential topics for exposition. Want to go see the Pope with me tomorrow? That will give you something fresh to blog about.

Not sure I want to know...but how does one play spin the bottle with a cask? Perhaps more pressing, why, at your age when you already live with a totally hot guy, do you need to play spin the bottle to get any action??

J said...

I'm a total nihilist too. I have absolutely no belief that we will be able to reverse the damage already done to the planet. There are too many people and greedy companies who care more about money than the environment or other human beings.

I'm glad someone else sees how horrible the overpopulation problem is. People think I'm crazy for not wanting to have kids, but sometimes I honestly think it makes me better than them... how many orphaned or neglected children already exist that we could take care of? But no, people want their OWN child, as if having the same genes makes you automatically love it more. It makes me sick.

I just realized I may not have posted on your blog before, but I have reading it for a while. I've always wanted to go to Australia (was supposed to do my PhD there after I finished teaching in France, but decided to stay here instead), so I'm just keeping up with other expats' thoughts about the country.

Anonymous said...

Those buildings are such a treat. My car was once towed by the police and dumped 3 miles away from that very campus many years ago - but that's another story.

Here's a cheery thought:
"The term nihilism is sometimes used synonymously with anomie to denote a general mood of despair at the pointlessness of existence." (thanx wikipedia)

I'd consider myself optimistically pessemistic but nihilistically inclined. Basically, I think we really are rather fucked, but also the human race is capable of great things ... which include saving the planet - the very thing which supports us & the very thing which we destroy bit by bit every day because we choose to. It's mostly about choice.

In 1,000 years, this argument will be academic because I don't think the earth will exist. It's a bit of a downer to think along those lines but unless or until I see an enormous amount of evidence to the contrary, that's where my thoughts remain.

But hey. Free booze at the Uni? It's not all doom and gloom :)

Anonymous said...

and PS. The war thing makes me so cross. I designed an underground bunker when I was 14 yrs old with the intention of living in it after China and Russia had wiped each other out.

Never, in my wildest and most demented dreams, did I expect the US would fight in Iraq and then pick fights with Iran at the same time.

War. What is it good for.
Absolutely nothing.

Author! Author! said...

Oh, I believe the Earth will still exist. I have serious doubts about mankind, but I believe the Earth is resilient enough to go on in some manner. The thought of extinction does not depress me in the least. There was a time before life existed, and there will be a time after. No drama about it. Enjoy the time you have.

I like to think that if governments had existed 10,000 years ago, they would have been figuring out a way to stop the ice age...and then we would not have Yosemite Valley - wouldn't that be a shame??

Author! Author! said...

Hi Jennie! Thanks so much for your comments - elsewhere on the internet I interact with people (and by people, I mean parents) who whinge and moan about the future of the planet and then brag about their three kids while giving me harsh criticsm for even thinking that *they* might be part of the problem!

I'm not against reproduction - though I don't especially care for the company of children...they have an objectionable smell...and I certainly don't believe that all of one's actions must always be in line with one's principles. My gosh, we'd never accomplish anything if that were true. But it can be difficult to present an arguement for childlessness without igniting the defenses of those who have children. By all means, live selfishly - I think it is our nature - but at least acknowledge your selfishness!

I find it odd that honestly I chose not to reproduce for altruistic reasons, but am frequently considered selfish by my friends who have children. Such is the human condition.

Thanks again for dropping me a comment - I'll stop by your blog for a look-see when I get a chance.

Author! Author! said...

"War. What is it good for.
Absolutely nothing."

HUH! Say it again!

Laura said...

I'm with you in the nihilist category. Oh yeah, I recycle and eat organic as much as I can-- but those things are such a drop in the bucket considering the stuff we're exposed to in every aspect of our lives. I remember the moment I found out that the "stain protection" I purchased on my new mattress had been SPRAYED ON.
That's gotta be good for me and the environment, right?

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone want to have a child to leave this fucked up and irreparable world to...yeah, I am a recycling organic nihilist too. Or as my friend Paula said when I told her our friend Amy just had her third child, "Doesn't she know what that does to the environment?"

Cheers to the "selfish" childless ones,
Darcie

Anonymous said...

Crikey, did I just walk into childfree.org ? :-)

Yeah, I'm one of those horridly optimistic parents that just gets up your goat... but hey, if what you say is true, then in the end we're all just jerking off anyway. C'est la vie. Or maybe carpe diem? Ah well. Peace and pieces out.