17 April 2008

The Joys of Public Transport #3

I like to ride on busses that have large advertisements pasted over the side windows. The ads are sheets of plastic with zillions of small holes in them. From the street they appear seamless. From inside the bus, one is aware of the holes even as one’s brain fills in the small little gaps and completes the scene that is unfurling beyond the window. Thus, as I watch twin schizophrenic brothers pissing on each other’s feet outside the Greater Union Cinema, I appear only as an enormous fizzy bottle of Sprite…of course, that may be how I look to them on any given day...

I especially like riding behind these adverts on rainy days, like today. When the tiny holes are filled with water, the world is a blur of color and shape.

On these days, I imagine that I am a myopic honey bee, on my way to work.

No comments: