12 May 2007

Yo Ho Toh-Ho!

Although I have made a few minor references in passing, I now realize I have not described in any graceful detail the empty fields that sit beside our apartment block. Located at the end of the building, our unit is uniquely situated in that our northern windows overlook the site of an abandoned bowling green. The wide flat lawn, ringed by tall pine trees and made lush by recent rains, is the home to a prosperous warren of happy rabbits. Nightly do we rejoice in watching the brown and white bunnies carelessly nibbling and hopping amongst the verdant blades, their tranquillity disturbed only occasionally by a cacophonous dive bomb from a cranky cockatoo. Never once did I consider their presence pestilent. Indeed, contrasted to their noisy avian compatriots, I take great pleasure in their silent mammalian existence.

Now, I cannot cite any specific references, but it is my understanding that rabbits, not being native to this sunburned continent, were introduced in a manner both unfortunate and laughable in its after effects. It seems, as I am learning myself on a very personal level, that crusading expatriates invariably strive to recreate the pleasures of their origin in an attempt to assuage their wistful longing for their homeland and to maintain a sense of connectedness to the life they have left behind. The early British settlers were no exception. Amongst the valued practices of Mother England, such as planting gardens and boiling meat, hunting for sport evidently provided a gentlemanly repast which was lacking in the new colony. And, since koalas do not offer much in the way of a challenge considering that they sleep up to 22 hours a day and are just so damn cute, the founding fathers of Australia decided to import rabbits for the express purpose of slaughter by gunfire.

In 1859, 24 rabbits were released onto the property of Thomas Austin. Having no regard for the fence line and with rigorous colonization ambitions of their own, the rabbits, doing what rabbits do best in the absence of natural predators, quickly and permanently altered the constitution of the Australian bushland in a manner which can best be described by the word “devastation”. (Though beyond the purpose of this essay, I find it worthwhile to mention that nothing was learnt by this exercise - as evidenced by the subsequent introduction of the European Red Fox for identical purposes and with identical consequences.) In 1991, the population of rabbits in Australia was estimated to be between 200 – 300 million.

Which brings me to the inspiration for this tirade. Yesterday, I found the following flyer in my post box. Aside from the obvious unpleasantness inherent in this notification, can any of you, dear readers, identify the sentence which is causing me particular consternation and amusement?



5 comments:

The Prof said...

My guess is that the "removal of signage and carrot..." is the provocative sentence. Does this mean that you face the prospect of running into dozens of cute little rabbit corpses in your quiet end of the street over the next few weeks? I know this must be done, but it's seems like such a tragic way to solve the problem.

Anonymous said...

I vote for "It is strongly recommend that pets..."

Author! Author! said...

No, no...It is the fac that there will be a free feeding prior to the commencement of baiting. I think it is terribly generous of the Lane Cove Council not to charge the bunnies for their last meal. So very civilized!

Last night I saw twelve dark bunnies, surrounding a pious looking white bunny, who was passing around broken bits of carrots...I couldn't make out their conversation, but then one black bunny was cast off and went sulking toward the bushes to meet with some royal magpies. Then a little brown bunny turned his back on the white bunny, like he didn't even know him.

If only I could paint...

Anonymous said...

If you painted "The Bunnies Last Supper", I fear it might be reminiscent of "Dogs Playing Poker".

It isn't clear to me though whether the free feeding is for the poisoners, or the poisonees.

Signed,
The Portland Bunny Protection League

Author! Author! said...

"It isn't clear to me though whether the free feeding is for the poisoners, or the poisonees."

YES! Exactly!

Of course, I must say, the baits have been out for a whole week, and I have a suspiscion the Lane Cove Council does not know the difference between poison and Spanish Fly. (There was some racy action in the field last night!) I have been assured by my mates at work that this program, although necessary, is completely ineffectual.