05 May 2007

Clubbing the Monkey

In honour of Cinco de Mayo (which by the by, is far more popular in America than in Mexico where it is scarcely acknowledged), we set out once more in search of Mexican food, this time operating on advice made by a dyke from New York. I must confess to having no confidence in the ability of a New Yorker to discern quality Mexican fare, and have found in general, over the course of my limited interactions with lesbians, that seldom do they share my tastes or inclinations. Upon expressing these sentiments, she informed me that she had lived in Texas for several years. I cannot say that this admission elevated her credentials in my opinion, as I am not particularly fond of Tex-Mex cuisine. However, lacking as we are in reliable Hispanic sources of gustatory recommendations, I felt obliged to investigate.

(My, but my writing style is prone to infection by my current reading selection. Any guesses as to which 19th century lady author I’ve been reading of late?)

We made our way via a complicated zig-zag of pubs and beer gardens to the lively and bohemian neighbourhood of Woolloomooloo (affectionately known as “The Loo”). After ensuring that the owners of
Café Pacifico were not on an extended holiday and that the facility was not undergoing extensive renovations, we retired to a nearby roof top lounge to await their opening. As the last glow of daylight faded from the warm autumn sky, we were treated to a most wondrous overhead procession of megachiroptera. Their numbers were so staggering, I felt sure they must be swirling in a circle above the tavern – there couldn’t be so many bats on one planet! At length, the crick in my neck and descending darkness forced me to turn my attention away from their evening migration and return to the task at hand.

Outside the brightly painted façade of Café Pacifico, we could hear music, laughter, and the clinking of ice cubes in Margarita glasses. We ascended the stairs and surveyed the lively décor. Paintings of muertos festooned the red walls. The toilets were segregated by images from the popular Loteria game: El Diablito for the gents, La Sirena for the ladies. The rafters were stacked with shabby but genuine carton boxes of Pacifico, Sol, and Bohemia beer. I held up two fingers to the hosts behind the counter.

“Ah sorry, mate. We’re totally booked out.”

I looked once more around the room and observed rather vocally that there were but two other diners at a table in a hall set for at least 60. He assured me that the place would be shoulder to shoulder by eight o’clock. I employed my recently acquired whingeing skills, and began recounting our misadventures to Azteca of the previous week, my swelling homesickness, and the fact that my heart would surely break if I did not eat some Mexican food this very instant. At last he conceded and said we could eat at the bar. I would gladly have eaten in the toilet, if necessary. Then the more quick witted of the hosts suggested that we could have a table IF we promised to vacate it by 8 o’clock. I looked at the time. It was currently 6:15. I had every intention of being in bed by 8 o’colck.

“Is your service that slow?”

He assured us it was not and we assured him we would consume our meal in the allotted time frame and so we were seated at a cheery red table with a cozy candle beneath a Diego Rivera print. We ordered some 17 dollar Margaritas (have I had occasion to mention the outrageous tax on hard alcohol in Australia?) and perused the equally expensive menu. The dishes were standard fare, tacos, fajitas, burritos, with nothing that stood out as particularly exotic save for a beef dish, the name of which now escapes me…something like plato de pico pequeño.

It was quickly dawning on me that regional cuisine is by necessity and virtue, just that: regional. Although such innovations as electronic commerce and overnight freight shrink the globe on a daily basis, the true essence of a “place” is thoroughly linked to our sensual detection and can never be completely recreated elsewhere. While subtle hints can stimulate our memories to conjure up feelings of past occasions, it is the difference between being in love and remembering having been in love.

And so, because Australia is not Mexico, or California, or Texas, the food here can only reflect their unfortunate British heritage and subsequently under cultivated taste for spice. However, it does have merits all its own. The avocados here are unrivalled in flavour and texture. The quality of the beef is robust and refreshing. The corn chips were authentic and the salsa flavourful, providing considerable relief to my nostalgic tastebuds.

Overall, I would rate the meal on par with methadone – it satisfied the craving but lacked the euphoria.

4 comments:

The Prof said...

A question from a new fan of your blog...are you able to buy any of the ingredients to make a simple mexican meal at home? Is it silly to even contemplate the purchase of a tortilla at the grocery store there?

Author! Author! said...

Hello Prof, and Welcome!

Yes, you can buy the most basic ingredients, such as taco seasoning and salsa (watch out for the exorbitant sugar levels). They even have "kits" for the completely uninitiated - seriously, burrito kits, taco kits, and fajita kits. Maybe they have those in the states, too, but I've never noticed them...maybe not too much demand in California! Taco and tostada shells are available. However, the tortillas leave much to be desired. I don't know what they do to them, but the flour torts are glued together and a little on the stiff side...but they get the job done. I have yet to try the corn tortillas, as they look frightful compared to what I am used to...but I am still exploring. There is also a wide variety of flat breads, and I suspect one of these might be better than tortillas for wrapping food.

Corn products are a very rare commodity here. The corn chips are ridiculously thin and flavorless. I have yet to find cornmeal. Forget about corn bread!

We couldn't find Pinto Beans at the grocery store, but they are readily available (under a pseudonym that escapes me now) at fruit markets and we cook 'em up with wonderful smoked ham hocks available from butcheries. And be warned, if your searching for cilantro, you will only find coriander. There is an abundance of different types of chiles, but I have yet to find actual Jalapenos outside of a jar.

The cheese is very different here, and always a topic of conversation between Americans and Aussies who have been to America and were horrified by our cheese color, oops I mean colour. Tasty Cheese is like a sharp cheddar, but Colby is the closest to mild cheddar, if only in flavour.

If you have a favorite hot sauce or spice, I recommend bringing a bit of it to stave off homesickness while you adjust (subject to AQIS guidelines, of course!)

Cheers,

Audra

The Prof said...

I talked to a friend from Mexico City today about the Mexican food challenge that is Australia. She emailed me several family recipes that look promising, gave me encouragement about making my own flour tortillas, and told me how about an author, Rick Bayless, (http://www.fronterakitchens.com/), who writes excellent Mexican cookbooks. I may try to order one before our shippers arrive next week!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Cafe Pacifico. I've heard some good things about that place too.

P.S. I use fine-ground polenta in place of cornmeal. You can find it in health food stores. Works well enough.