17 July 2010

On a Cold Winter's Day

Everyone assures me that this winter in Adelaide has been exceptionally nasty - that it is usually much more pleasant than this.  Seems I heard the same story when we first moved to Sydney.  I honestly believe we could hire ourselves out as drought busters.  Whenever we move to some pleasant climate, they invariably experience their wettest year in a decade.

Despite our intense desire to remain cuddled beneath our cozy doona, I hoisted our asses out of bed and down to the Adelaide Showground Farmer's Market - a delightful collection of local producers and food artisans.  In no time at all, my fingers were numb from fishing coins from my pockets, but our little basket was full of fresh crisp produce and recently slaughtered pig parts - because nothing chases away the gloom like a bubbling pot of chile verde, especially when paired with a box of cheap wine.

My chile verde recipe was graciously passed down to me by my most wonderful brother-in-law, Eddie who claims to be a real Mexican although I suspect he is actually a Shriner - although come to think of it, there is no reason the two are mutually exclusive...do Mexican Shriners ride around in mini-low riders?  Why do I have trouble imagining Eddie in a miniature anything...


People who have tasted my chile verde invariably ask me for the recipe.  To that I say, come spend a gloomy Sunday with me, drinking cheap wine, roasting chiles, and peeling garlic.  I realize that is not practical for many of you, so here is the recipe I transcribed from Eddie and keep proudly attached to my refrigerator with magnets featuring visages of His Most Holy of Holies, and three sexually curious sheep from New Zealand (is there any other kind of sheep in New Zealand?). 

I don't know why the phrase "creepy cheese eating surrender monkeys" is written on this recipe, but I do know it is critical to the success of the stew.  Questions?  Sorry, you'll just have to come spend a gloomy Sunday with me.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm fucking freezing, recipe please.

Eddie said...

Where do you find tomatillos in Oz?

Author! Author! said...

Mt brother-in-law brings them to me from America!

Although, I have seen them in a gourmet foods store - for $11 a can. We have paid $4.99 for a can of Herdez on occassion too...