06 March 2010

Me and Steve McQueen**

Feeling a little bit glum today, I broke into our stash of exotic imports…some mini-marshmallows, Frito Corn Chips, and a bottle of Riesling shaped like a poonanny…er, I mean a cat…then I settled down on the couch to watch The Towering Inferno on Channel 99, cuz I love me some Steve McQueen!

I know this movie was hokey even in 1974, and it is certainly still hokey today – but not only does it represent the cradle of genesis of the modern-day action adventure hero, it tackles themes of corporate and personal greed, ethics in engineering, and the perils of pre-marital intercourse (though I really don't see why boffing his secretary should have resulted in the incineration of Robert Wagner’s luscious locks.) And, it is a spectacular tribute to the heroism of American Fire Fighters.

Maybe I am just feeling emotional, but I daresay this movie is much harder to watch post 9/11. Before then, with the exception of the MGM fire, most of us had not seen real people leaping from burning high rises, and it is no less gut-wrenching in simulation.

“Ya’know, we were lucky tonight. The body count’s less than 200. Ya’know, one of these days, they’re gonna kill 10,000 in one of these fire traps…And I’m gonna keep eatin’ smoke and bringin’ out bodies..until somebody asks us how to build ‘em."


And, despite him being a murdering bastard, I am not ashamed to admit that I cried when OJ Simpson rescued Lisolette’s punanni…er, I mean cat.

**Possibly my favorite song in the whole world...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG - where have you been (your blog, that is) my whole life (my life since moving here 3 months ago, that is)? This blog is so friggin' good I can't believe I didn't find it sooner. I find myself doling out only a few entries a day to savor the content and writing. The writing I find to be so damn good, I feel the need to govern my intake -thus the self-imposed limit. Little eerie reading my thoughts in someone else's writing but so warm and comforting too. Been questioning our decision to move here but reading some of your humor on particular Aussie idiosyncrasies has quelled some of that. Thanks...many thanks.

Author! Author! said...

Thank you Liz. Comments like yours are the reason I write it!!