19 November 2009

Click

The majority, if not all, of American visitors to Australia generally make the same sets of observations regarding differences of cultural quirks, social etiquette, and the subtleties of economic scale, the latter frequently taking the form of the exclamatory question “Eighteen fucking dollars for a six pack of beer!?!?” The former may include comments about the sorrowful status of indigenous peoples, the domination of television programming by exotic and unfamiliar sports such as cricket, netball, and underwater men's doubles ping-pong, whether driving on the left side of the road is practical or suspect, and the unexpected British-ness of Australia in general. Indeed, this blog is largely dedicated to the dissection of such observations.

Yesterday, the third and final round of this year's international visitors departed after a 5 week whirlwind visit, and they of course made note of all of the above – with particular emphasis on the cost of goods and services. During their frequent and somewhat emotional rants about the price of mangoes or the wretched value-for-dollar ratio of accommodations, a strange thing happened to me. I found myself becoming increasingly defensive.

And when I observed that in myself, I heard and felt a distinct 'click' from deep within my chest, an irreversible and unexpected ratcheting sound, which both thrilled and frightened me at once.

1 comment:

Leone Fabre said...

I can understand that 'click' too .... it has happened to me here in Singapore! Dare anyone to run it down and I jump on them and start comparing to other places etc...

But what is worse for me is that I no longer defend Australia when people run Australia down... I just sit back and keep my mouth shut ... most unusual for me...

All I keep thinking is 1, I have not lived there for 3 years so I no longer know what it is like and 2, every country in the world has it's upsides and its downsides.

Everyone thinks "their country" is the best and bigger, brighter better than anywhere else ... then after being away so long, you can sit back and think maybe it is just the same as anywhere else!!

We are just lucky to have the opportunity to live elsewhere and to experience all these wonderful things... good or bad... not wrong though... just DIFFERENT!

enjoy your day.