10 September 2009

Life is Just a Fantasy

Aside from the dull ache of missing family and friends, the most lingering pangs of homesickness arise from feeling ostracized from the NFL. Sure, we are able to occasionally catch a game at the pub - and this year a new television channel promises to deliver three games per week directly into our living room at more appropriate hours - but what we do not get is all the commentary and analysis that makes it possible to watch the games with insight and emotional investment. Also, the games just don't 'feel' right when they are interrupted by Australian commercials that frequently malign American culture to make their point.

So this year, in an effort to feel more involved, I joined a Fantasy Football League. My excitement has been escalating steadily ever since. I even got up at 1:30 in the morning to participate in a live draft and chat with the other owners in my league, who were impressed by my dedication, even as they snatched all of my top player picks away from me. I had been warned that participation in a Fantasy League can quickly border on obsession, and the warning was entirely justified.

My excitement spilled over this morning when I awoke to the crashing sounds of the recycling truck at 5:30. I leapt from my bed, took a pass on a shower so I could catch an early train, and slid through the still-sleeping city so I could get my work done before the 10:30 am kick off of the season opener. As a cherry on top, my wonderful Canadian friend turned me onto a web site that streams every game - LIVE - and with real American commercials.

Now I can get all the commentary and analysis I can stomach, right from the comfort of my desk. Unfortunately, I cannot drink beer at work!

So, as soon as Kevin gets here, I am slipping off to the pub for an early extended lunch.

6 comments:

A Free Man said...

I know what you mean. I'm a college football fan, not pro, but I miss the sort of banter with friends at work and stuff. Here all I hear about are the Crows and as much as I try, they'll never be my team.

I know of a few ways to watch games online, but the problem is the damn download limits - makes it tough to watch any streaming video!

Unknown said...

What's the website?

Zee Poodle said...

Joy! That is a very pleasing result :) I can understand how jarring it must be to hear those AWFUL Joyce Mayne commercials in the ad breaks. Or to be told that tomatoes cost three dollars a kilo at your local Coles when all you want to know was whether your team had made 10 yards.

The games, when watching on US telly, are so much fun. I got such a kick out of learning the rules, getting familiar with the teams, the players, the coaches, commentators. The whole shooting match.

Even the ads seemed more interesting there, u kno? An endless selection of trucks, cars, and booze ads kept me amused for an entire game. That is no mean feat.

I am not a footy head by any stretch, but American football tickles me pink. I so love it. And hockey. But that's a whole other post LOL

Author! Author! said...

Sorry, I didn't post the link because I am sure it must be illegal and I wouldn't want the Internet Police kicking down my door...but, what the hell:

http://www.atdhe.net

Zee Poodle said...

I meant to ask earlier, what NFL team do your normally barrack for? (I just cannot bring myself to say "root for" - I'm sure you understand why, having lived in Oz for a while now LOLOL) I'm a Colts gal, but I think I've mentioned it already. Juvenile Alzheimer's is a barstard.
Who?
Oh, nothing.

Author! Author! said...

Having spent most of my adult life in locations without a home team, I am fickle with my loyalties and have found myself rooting for many different teams over the years (I am still uncomfortable with 'barrack' as to me it sounds like I am plotting an up-the-middle-blitz against the President and I have no problem amusing myself with fleeting fantasies of myself and the starting line-up of any particular match.)

In past years, I have been an avid supporter of the Buccaneers, the Saints, the Chargers, and the Colts - that being a carry-over from Tony Dungy's transfer there-to and my indignation over the injustice of it. I *was* a Peyton Maning fan, but once I saw him speak to his kicker in a very unpleasant manner for missing a game-winning field goal that wouldn't have been an issue had Mr Manning not fumbled the ball so many times. I decided he was a dick, but I still cheer for the Colts.

Since moving to Australia, and being cut-off from most of the analysis and commentary and all the little endearing vignettes about the lives of the players that make them ever so interesting, I have found it difficult to pick any one team to go for each season. Thus, I am reduced (or perhaps elevated) to supporting a team on a game by game basis...but sometimes I cheer for everyone and just hope they are all having fun.