01 September 2007

Happy Father's Day

Today is Father’s Day in Australia.

I am just as unimpressed with this Hallmark Holiday here in September as I am with it in the USA in June. It’s not that I have any particular objections to the sentiments of the occasion, but I seriously dislike the peer pressure and guilt associated with being too lazy and self involved to post a card or buy a chocolate tool set. I sincerely hope that the various fathers in my life know that I hold them in high regard on every day of the year, and that I would be happy to take them out for brekkie anytime.

2 comments:

The Prof said...

I can tell you that I enjoy it much more as a father than I did when I was only a son. And I didn't even receive a huge HD flatscreen with a home entertainment theater, which seems to be *the* gift for the Aussie dad...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the loving sentiment. I empathize with regard to the pressure. Breakfast sounds grand. I hear Aussie dads get huge flatscreen TVs. This may say something about the place but I don't know what. -P