22 December 2006

Surprise!

I’m not surprised by the total lack of surprise expressed by nearly all of you upon hearing the news that Kevin and I are moving to Australia. I am a little surprised by the outpouring of enthusiasm and support expressed by all but a (surprisingly) close few of you. I am most surprised at how surprised I am to find myself moving to Australia. I’m also surprised at how quickly I have worn out the word ‘surprise’.

I am not in the mood to dwell on the tedious events of my life heretofore (visit www.sandiablo.net for further details), but for the benefit of those of you who may not be familiar with my personal history (and in case this blog should ever serve as a reference document for my best selling biography), I feel inclined to provide a brief sketch of the events leading up to this most recent geographical transplantation.

On second thought, what difference does it make? This will be a brand new beginning, a chance to shed the past (or at least leave it stuffed in a shed 7,000 miles away). This is an opportunity to start over, to re-invent myself as a successful and dynamic woman in a warm and exotic land, where no one knows about my past work history (I swear, perform one little strip-tease at a convention in San Antonio and you get a reputation for life!). How symbolic that the beginning of our new life should coincide with the beginning of the New Year!

...but wait, we’ll be boarding the plane in San Francisco at 10:30 pm on December 31, 2006 and landing in Sydney at 8:30 am on January 2, 2007...This may have dire implications for my “new beginnings” metaphor since for us, there will be no January 1st…no New Year’s Day…no 17th Wedding anniversary…no New Year’s resolutions (good thing, since I don’t keep them anyway.)

So maybe it won’t be a whole new life, but it will certainly be a whole new adventure...so be sure to check back often...

No comments: