04 March 2007

I can, canoe?

3, March 2007

It happens nearly every calm cool morning… likewise, every sweltering evening. Each time we see a kayak gliding across the serene waters of Burns Bay, we become consumed with a yearning to be out on the water, drifting among the shorebirds and adding some upper body workout to our exercise routine which currently consists of an abundance of walking. So, for Kevin’s 43rd birthday, I signed us up with the
Kayak & Canoe Club, a non-profit, member-driven club that organizes outings, teaches paddling skills, and promotes stewardship of local waterways.

On Saturday, we participated in a basic skills workshop. We learned about tides and weather, safety guidelines, and were shown the fundamental strokes. Notice I did not say that we learned the strokes. Although we “know” how to perform them, it turns out that paddling is much like riding a bicycle. While your brain may understand what is supposed to happen, you must wait patiently for your body to “get it” before theory and practice converge into actual ability. Thus, our efforts to paddle down the river actually resulted in a distinct spiraling motion, as we spun in circle after circle, never quite managing to go straight. On the bright side, we are really good at turning.

We also learned how to perform a “wet exit”, where contrary to my every survival instinct, I had to intentionally capsize my kayak and dislodge myself from the cockpit. Dangling underwater, upside down, the desire for fresh air is, fortunately, a strong motivator, and my body “got it” without much help from my brain.

No comments: